Back to Home

Blackholes Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Blackholes I | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Re: Light Speed

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by BEER BORG on February 24, 1999 20:58:49 UTC

: MAN WILL ONE DAY HAVE FASTER THEN LIGHT SPEEDS. : : : WE ARE MAN,,WE WILL OVERCOME... : : : : : ONE DAY OUR KIDS,KIDS,KIDS WILL BE LIVING THIS DREAM.. : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : Hi there. : : : : : : : : Can anybody explain me why we go beyond the light speed.

: : : : : : : : Thanks.Bye.

: : : : : : : What do you mean???? Beyond the light speed???

: : : : : : : If you mean why do we not stop with light as the fastest speed that's because light doesn't travel at the same speed. It all depends on the median in which it is traveling ie. water, air,space.

: : : : : : :Since light has no intrinsec mass,it would take an infinite amount of energy to reach its speed (according to Einstein's E=mc2),and your mass would then become infinite.Moreover,if you could go faster than light speed in the vacuum(300 000 km/s) ,you would run time backwards.

: : : : : And technically, your mass would be infinite. Therefore, you would be at every point in the universe at the same time.

: : : : What if at the speed of light, your mass doesn't become infinite, but instead it becomes indefinite? That could be a new rule of physics, wouldn't it? Unfortunately, with our technology, we can't prove that theory. However, that could be a possibility. Then you wouldn't occupy every part of the universe, you simply wouldn't exist. : : : I have heard from some people that we have already invented faster than light travel but we don't have the money to go out and use it. Plus we don't want something to happen to the astronaut. But I don't know what to say to them because you would have to have more than an infinite amount of energy. So that is what I say to them. I would like to believe we are advanced enough to go 186,111 miles per second on my opinion we are just too primitive. I think that maybe if we study on it enough we could invent a space ship that could go light speed. I would like to hear your thoughts on this.

: : We do already have the technology. All we have to do is smash two spaceships going half the speed of light together, and their speed of impact will equal the speed of light! I bet Einstien never thought of that eh?

: :It actually isn't as hard to do once we exit the capsul humanity has enclosed our mind in. A ship would never travel at such speeds. Too heavy and too many parts too break down. For something to travel at such speeds it first has to be atomized, or broken down. The problem then would be selecting a location or drop of point. It would seem to me that the human body ( made of atoms ) would be the likely candidate for us to break the barrier of light speed. Electrons travel 99.99999% the speed of light around lighter atoms. Muons when time dilated survive longer and travel faster than once thought. ( however not light speed) I would not want to be the one to go first but a ship is simply not feasible.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
    Additional Information
    Google

Web www.astronomy.net
    DayNightLine
    About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
    Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
    Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
    "dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
    are trademarks of John Huggins