Back to Home

Blackholes Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Blackholes I | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Re: Okay Guys,The Final Train Crash. Re: Minimum Distance

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Randall Flagg/">Randall Flagg on February 17, 1999 03:24:56 UTC

: : First Thanks for replying to my question. What I want to know know is, if : : Time doesn't slow down when the trains get really really close to each other, all of : : those points are gapped in a certain length of time. : : 1 second apart = 1 meters : : 1/2 second apart = 1/2 meters : : 1/4 second apart = 1/4 meters : : 1/8 second apart = 1/8 meters : : etc. : : 0 seconds apart = 0 meters

: : is true, does that mean that the movement of the trains are broken down : : into frames as if it were a film on in movie? Assuming I wrote down the : : number 1 then 0.5 then 0.25 then 0.125 and kept halving it each time, so : : on.... I would never reach 0 (the point of collision). Therefore it is possible : : for the trains to continue to move towards each other for infinity and never : : collide. I just don't understand at what point do the trains reach 0 (the point : : of collision) seeing how there can be an infinite amount of "distance" that : : the trains can travel within that remaining distance between the two trains. If : : there are an infinite amount of points between the two trains, how do they : : ever collide? It seems that they would continue to travel these infinite points : : never reaching the collision. There must be a point among the "infinite : : points" that is the point of collision? If you have any further ideas or : : theories please reply. Maybe I should majored in Physics instead. Thanks : : Again. : : Randy

: Have you consider my theory of quantized space? : Maybe the number of points between the two trains is NOT infinite. If it were, tre trains would never collide, don't you think? : If the space were quantized the movement will then be step like with finite numer of points. One of those points is your Minimum Distance. : I am not saying that all the "points" are equal. You can compare this with a rough paper which is 2-D with roughness in 3rd dimesion. The space would then be "roughed" into 4rd(?) dimension. : If the space were quantized then also the time must be. So the trains would eventualy collide with distance between them before collision of 1 "point" (quanitum of space) and 1 fraction (quantum) of time. :

Well.. if you want to ger into the atomic physics of it, it would go like this: In actuality, nothing ever touches, not even your finger is a "solid" peice of mass. Things are bonded together by electromagnetic forces: atoms, molecules, everything. When the atoms of the train (and the electromagnetic field of the train's atoms), become close *enough* to the magnetic field of the brick wall or other train, it disrupts the other. If you take two magnets and try to put the like poles to each other, they repel.. in this case, the mometum and the fields are so strong that the material warps and breaks due to the opposing forces. Therefore the forces (masses) never need to ACTUALLY touch, just to come close enough to conflict with each other. Whatever that distance must be.

Make sense to anyone else?

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins