Back to Home

Blackholes Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Blackholes I | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Re: Minimun Distance...Someone Please Help Me With My Question!! PLEASE!

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by parappapoo on December 8, 1998 17:36:52 UTC

: : If this question can be answewred then maybe I can get on with my life. Actually I don't even know how to phrase the question exactally but here goes. Lets say two trains were on a path to a head on collision. What would be the minimun distance between the two trains before they collieded or came in contact with each other? Obviously there must be a point at which if either of the two trains moved any further torwards each other they would collide and come in contact with each other. BUT! at that point where if they moved any closer they would collide, there must be some empty space between the two trains because they have not collided yet. Therfore if there IS empty space between the two trains, no matter how small, you can move in closer at least half of that remaining distance... making that minimum distance moot. right? RIGHT? Okay lets look at this in mathmatically. Lets say for example you had some type of device that could electronically measure the distance between the two trains. I am going to : : use the number zero (0) as the point of contact. As each train moved close torwards each other, your measuring device would count down.. 9 - 8- 7 - 6 - 5 - 4 - 3 - 2 - 1 Now using the number one (1) at the minimum distance before contact, and zero (0) as contact, how could this minimun distance exist because 0.5 would be even closer that the original minimum distance of one (1). and 0.4, 0.3, 0.2, 0.1, 0.01 so forth and so on...how could you possible reace zero (0)???????!!!!! Someone please answer this so I can stop wasting so much time pondering on this. Thanks, Randy : RANDY : The trains never hit. you will be always have : half way to go. Except when the point in calculations you reach a point when there is all positive fractional numbers! : At one point in time as numbers advance negitive numbers stop and the rest are all positive. Look at that point

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins