Back to Home

Blackholes Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Blackholes I | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Re: Black Hole Question

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics
Posted by Sarah Jennewine on April 28, 1997 03:35:08 UTC

: : : Let's say that you were just outside the event horizon of a black hole. Would it be the case that you would be pulled into the black hole if you were not travelling near the speed of light?: Well, first thing is first. Travelling the speed of light is impossible, therefore irrelevent. Next, if someone were to be perched outside a black hole, the gravitational force would indeed pull you near or possibly into it. In our case, reaching a black hole would be incredible, but probably impossibe.....: Hi, Adam! I'd like to correct a couple of things you said. First of all, I know that travelling AT light speed is impossible. That's why in my original question I asked about travel NEAR light speed, rather than AT light speed itself. Theoretically, we should be able to travel NEAR light speed provided we don't accelerate too quickly. At that speed, it occurs to me that we should be able to orbit a black hole just outside its event horizon as a satellite. In this case, our centripetal acceleration would equal the acceleration due to the black hole's gravity (g=v2/r, where g is gravity, v is our speed, and r is our distance from the singularity). Of course all of this is moot since current technology is limited, and it would take many, many years to even reach a black hole. Also, the gravity just outside the event horizon would be far too great for our bodies to withstand, so some sort of unmanned spacecraft might have to suffice.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins