Back to Home

Blackholes Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Blackholes I | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Re: Boxcar Randy In Reference To Tomislav Strelar

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by technicolor/">technicolor on September 11, 1998 16:42:37 UTC

: Everyone, thanks for your help : I have one further question. My original question was how could two trains collide seeing that there are an infinite amount of points between the two trains. I would think the trains would continue to travel along this string of infinite points never reaching its destination ( the collision). But here is another way to look at it. As the trains came closer and closer towards each other, the amount of space remaining between the trains would shrink. Now if we were to magnify this remaining space, and zoom in at the same rate the space is shrinking, we could maintain a view of this empty space. So... how would this empty space ever disappear, Or how would this empty space ever close and allow the trains to touch? That is a very interesting theory about the pixel effect. I would have substituted "pixel" for "particle". However it is true that an infinite number of points can exist between point "A" and point "B". Hypothetically lets imagine a two-dimensional line one-meter long. We could cut this line in half, take the remaining portion of the line and cut it in half, then take THAT remaining portion and cut it in half. It would take an infinite amount of steps if we were to keep dividing the line in half. Now lets look at the space between the trains as if it were the line. We could divide this space into an infinite amount of points. Now lets attribute a number to the space. If the distance between the trains is 10 meters, obviously we can divide 10 an infinite number of times. Through how many points must an object travel to reach its destination…. I dunno? :0)

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins