Back to Home

Blackholes Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Blackholes I | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Re: Not An Answer But... (and An Additional Question)

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Michael Moosman/">Michael Moosman on September 9, 1998 20:02:59 UTC

: : i plan to do a project on black holes, but i don't know much about them. i read something about the sun becoming a black hole. When the sun does turn into black hole, we are not threaten by it. My questions are: Is there another star to supply us with sunlight? Are there any signs that the sun might become a black hole? How offten do black holes occur? Can black holes be predicted? If so, was there ever a scientist that thought about placing a device close to the star before it becomes a black hole; hopefully the device would go into the hole to explore the other dimension. : : thank u for ur time....=)

: For one thing the nearest star other than the sun is about 4 light years away, so no sunlight.

: Considering the fact that the nearest star is that far away, how the hell is the scientist supposed to get the probe close to it. As for predicting it, It would take millions of years, so if someone predicts it, by the time it happens, everyone will have forgotten the prediction, and at the time of the prediction, no one would care.

: Plus a question - Are black holes actually known to exist, or is it just a theory?

Yes, black holes DO exist, it's a theory, but there is WAY too much backing it up and we've located a few. Let me first tell you what a black hole is. It's a place where the escape velocity is greater then light speed. That means that you have to be going faster then light speed to get out of a black hole, which means nothing can get out because nothing can go faster then light. It's "black" because light go's in and doesn't come out. Now the sun will never become a black hole, it's not big enough, but it might get sucked into one sometime, we never know. Our star will become a white dwarf when it dies. Now that means that we have 5 billion years to trasport people into self systianing space crafts or to another solar system. Stars are a LONG ways away, but 10 billion years is a lot of time. I don't think there will be any problem.

And if you went into a black hole, it would be like hitting a one way brick wall and you'd become part of it (dead).

They can be predicted and there rather rare. We've only found a few, and we've found millions of stars. Huge stars when they go super-nova form neutron stars, or black holes, depending on how dense.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
    Additional Information
    Google

Web www.astronomy.net
    DayNightLine
    About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
    Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
    Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
    "dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
    are trademarks of John Huggins