Back to Home

Blackholes Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Blackholes I | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Re: Singularity And Spacetime Inside Horizon

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Gordon/">Gordon on August 4, 1998 22:21:41 UTC

A singularity is basically the center point of ultimate compression in a black hole, usually said to be a collapsed star, which has burned up it's fuel supply, and ends up compressing itself, which fuses hydrogen into helium, and generates even MORE heat and gravity, until it collapses so much that it becomes a black hole. The name has often been synonymously used in place of the name: black hole, as has collapsar. The singularity itself lies beyond the "event horizon" which is the so-called point of no return for any matter/energy pulled in by the immense gravity. Spacetime inside the event horizon supposedly achieves infinite compression, and time itelf slows to a near-standstill (re: Einstein's Theory of Relativity). If you would like to get ahold of the most informed opinion and most thorough knowledge, I recommend any literature by Stephen Hawking, who is considered the foremost mind on this subject. One of his most reknowned works is: A Brief History of Time. I hope this helps.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
    Additional Information
    Google

Web www.astronomy.net
    DayNightLine
    About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
    Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
    Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
    "dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
    are trademarks of John Huggins