Back to Home

Blackholes Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Blackholes I | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Is The Observation Of Light The Problem

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics
Posted by Mark Roush/">Mark Roush on June 5, 1998 20:18:36 UTC

For all practical purposes light is observed on a two-dimensional plane. What if light travels through what could be considered a three-dimensional "either" as far as observations are concerned. Imagine a spiraling ribbon thrown at you from a friend at some arbitrary distance. This ribbon as it approaches you has a constant velocity and always rotates at a constant radius perpendicular to you. However, you can only observe it at 90 degrees to horizontal. A neutral observer standing perpendicular to you observes this ribbon as a wave with frequency and amplitude. Depending on the frequency and accuracy of your observation you will see the ribbon as a solid object approaching you or as intermittent pulses of light (from matter) approaching you. Could this be why light sometimes has the characteristics of a wave and sometimes as a particle? I am not a scientist and do not have the necessary physics backround to persue this assumption with a mathematical model. Therefore, if someone could let me know if this theory "is full of holes", I would appreciate the input. On a lighter note, I am a believer that there is at least four or five ways to spell all words so please do not judge me on my spelling. Thank you for your patience in helping me persue my hobby. I am looking forward to your replies.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
    Additional Information
    Google

Web www.astronomy.net
    DayNightLine
    About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
    Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
    Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
    "dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
    are trademarks of John Huggins