Back to Home

Blackholes Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Blackholes I | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Re: Blackholes

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by tim morin/">tim morin on June 2, 1998 12:47:34 UTC

: : What are blackholes (its for a science project)?

: Here's what I know. Stars are in balance. All their mass : generates gravity which tries to crush the star to a smaller : size. The star burns fuel (hydrogen in the beginning) which : generates equal pressure that counteracts the gravity. The : star goes on like this for a while. Without going into great : detail, stars eventually run out of fuel. Gravity, no longer : countered by the burning of fuel, pulls the matter of the star : to a much smaller size. Much denser, this smaller star has a : high density. The results in a very concentrated gravity "well."

: Now the black hole part.

: Very large stars have so much matter that when they crush down to : this small size thay have an extreme amount of gravity. Light : is affected by gravity; Starlight bends around the sun for example. : If gravity is strong enough, any light generated by the old star : bends around and comes back to the star; Thus light never leaves.

: This is what a black hole is as I know it. I have skipped many : things about stellar evolution.

: Let's here from the astronomers out there.

: I will try to find some web sites and list them : on Astronomy Net to help you find information.

: John what would happen if two black holes collided?

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
    Additional Information
    Google

Web www.astronomy.net
    DayNightLine
    About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
    Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
    Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
    "dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
    are trademarks of John Huggins