Back to Home

Bigbang Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Big Bang | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
The Current State Of Physics And Cosmology

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics
Posted by Rowanda on December 21, 2003 02:41:04 UTC

This topic might get more attention in the G&S or even the Misc forums, but this is the appropriate forum for the discussion I want to initiate.

Please link on to the following site

http://www.edge.org/3rd_culture/susskind03/susskind_index.html

Edge.org is know for its "Leading Edge" discussions, but I find the one above particularly insightful. It starts with an interview with Susskind and continues with responses by Smolin and others of that stature.

Susskind is not a well known name, so allow me to copy over his credits from that site:

LEONARD SUSSKIND, the discoverer of string theory, is the Felix Bloch Professor in theoretical physics at Stanford University. His contributions to physics include the discovery of string theory, the string theory of black hole entropy, the principle of "black hole complementarity", the holographic principle, the matrix description of M-theory, the introduction of holographic entropy bounds in cosmology, the idea of an anthropic string theory "landscape".

I would be pleased if anyone would care to read and discuss the present state and future of string theory, quantum gravity and if the antropic principle leads to real physics or just a multitude of possible universes.

Wanda

PS: I previously tried to start a rational discussion on 'consciousness' on the G&S forum, but found that the noise level is too high on that forum to have such a discussion. Or was it that the signal level was too low- meaningful responses were lacking.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins