Back to Home

ATM Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Amateur Telescope Making | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Digital Shaft Encoders. Help Wanted.

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics
Posted by Steve Kleyn/">Steve Kleyn on October 31, 1999 13:47:51 UTC

I am rebuilding the optics of an old Odyssey 13" into an open truss, forkmount equatorial with stepper motor drive and motorized focuser. Having built several CB211 and CB245 cameras for some of my fellow nut case ATMers and now one for myself, I want to add digital shaft encoders to my new baby so I can do some serious imaging of our magnificent Southern Skies without the "hit and miss". (Mostly miss). I can build the necessary mechanical part for geared-up strobe disc assemblies and need the design for their electronics and the counters and LED displays to go with it all. No bells and whistles thank you. The commercialy available "go to" systems with their databases etc. are for the wealthy and priveledged locals. I'm neither. Just a retired engineer with a passion for astronomy and making things that really work. No expert in electronics but can build it if I can get the schematics or logic diagrams, provided they are fully notated, all components identified, ICs pinouts numbered etc. "Monkey see,monkey do". I also have a very "old fashioned" PCBoard design program that works for me and have done some pretty double sided PCB's with it. I'm wanting a simple system that I can lock onto a known star, enter its co-ordinates and from there slew manually to anywhere with the readouts telling me where I am. Resolution will depend on the size and number of slots I can get onto a strobe disc and how much gearing I can fit into the space available. Any leads here would be welcome. Most components can be sourced locally and any special hybrids I can always order from U S and other sources. Here at the tip of Africa we don't have many ATMers so here's hoping that our big brothers up North can hold my hand.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins