Back to Home

ATM Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Amateur Telescope Making | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Re: Are My Figures Correct?

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by YARB/">YARB on September 19, 1999 03:07:55 UTC

: Pretty close. Man, that's a small mirror. Most mirrors I have worked with have a diagonal of 20% of diameter or less. In your case you'll want less. 3 5/16 mirror at 20% is .66" How did you find the radius? I have taken mirrors with unknown focals and use the "flash the light" on a wall method. I use a flashlight, shine it in the mirror and the reflection on a wall. When the element of the flashlight focuses on the wall (by moving the mirror back and forth, use two people)Then I measure the distance from the mirror to the image on the wall and divide by two. I've been pretty lucky that way. It works. As for fast focus. I believe your mirror qualifies. 3.3" mirror at f/8 is fast. I'm sure Robert May will correct me if I'm wrong.

Hey Kip, yes it is a small mirror. Trying to get a couple of grandsons interested in ATM. If it takes hold we will build a 6", maybe a 8" I used the card and light method to find the ROC. Checkout http://www.atmpage.com/focal.html I have another mirror, smaller than this one. I will try your method when we check it out. Thanks for the come back! YARB

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins