Back to Home

ATM Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Amateur Telescope Making | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Re: Rough Grinding Leaves Smooth Edge

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Brian Matthiesen/">Brian Matthiesen on September 6, 1999 07:26:54 UTC

With the 120 grit and on, the 1/3rd stroke(that's total length of stroke/diameter of mirror) with 1/3rd overhang (1/6th to each side) needs to be held to more rididly for a max. stroke.

Thanks Robert. I'm not quite sure what the "...needs to held more rigidly for max stroke" means. Are you saying that I need to more precise in the stroke, staying very close to the 1/6 overhang? Can you clarify, please.

Also, I saw a posting that is very similar to my problem. Post: (!!Got a rough-grinding problem!! posted by John Suback on June 13, 1999).

Is my situation different? The recommended method was to move the mirror on top to decrease the curve and grind toward the outside.

I think that I should I do the same and put the tool on top to reduce the curve of the mirror given that I am already at the desired depth. (right?)

I calculate that I need a sagitta of 0.078206 and I can get a 5/64 (0.078125) drill bit under a straight edge so Im 99% of depth.

So graphically, I need to remove material where the dots are in the diagram while maintaining the center depth.

0.. ..0 00.. ..00 0000.. ..0000 00000000 00000000 0000000000000000000000000000 0000000000000000000000000000

I'm feeling confident about moving the tool to the top and reducing the curve. I think I'm on the right track here.

Thoughts?

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
    Additional Information
    Google

Web www.astronomy.net
    DayNightLine
    About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
    Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
    Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
    "dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
    are trademarks of John Huggins