Back to Home

ATM Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Amateur Telescope Making | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Re: Cutting Chanels In My Lap

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by John/">John on August 24, 1999 17:52:36 UTC

: I am in the habit of using a rubber mold for making my facets but the best way is to warm up the lap until it's starting to move and push a stick or other item into the lap and then put the mirror on and level out the lap. John Dobson uses a corner of a 1x2 after letting the lap cool a little bit and then presses the lap again. The pitch is still flowing pretty well at the temps that he does the grooves and puts them all the way down to the tool. The grooves will shrink when you put the mirror on the lap so make sure that you make a big enough groove. Also making more grooves will help in speed of work of the lap and in keeping the pitch from closing up so fast. : Pitch will flow if you work slower than a certain speed and then crack if you work faster than a certain speed, just like silly putty, and the proper consistency is about that of silly putty for making the facets. Also, you want to push the facets up into little mountains rather than just raising the edges.

Where can I get those rubber molds that you mentioned earlier? thankyou!

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins