Back to Home

ATM Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Amateur Telescope Making | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Re: Starting To Grind... And An Answer For Pablo

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Paul Maddocks on August 18, 1999 21:08:42 UTC

: They won't cause any more problem than a chip of the tile. I think that you're worrying too much about things that don't happen. If you're worried with chips, bevel the tool like you're supposed to and enjoy. : I do agree with you that the grinding goes a bit faster with channels in it. However, I don't believe that the difference is that significant and I might note that the iron tools of the pros aren't channeled (they would have to be radially channeled to work that way) in any way. Maybe the pros haven't found out about channeling but I would suspect not. : By the way, the glass isn't that expensive so go try what I've been saying and if you run up against a problem, it's mostly just time to fix it. Another thing, pickup your coarse grit, wash out (in your wash bucket let the grit settle for about 10 seconds and pour off the water) the glass and reuse it as about 80% of the grit is wasted by most grinders.

I have several pounds of 40 grit and will be casting my "embedded tile" tool tonight - I suppose my "chip" fear is caused by the fact that the 40 grit eats everything in its path quickly. Thanx for all the info.. I want to get this stuff right before I start on the 12" chunk of pyrex I aquired . Im working on an 8" piece of 3/4 plate right now.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
    Additional Information
    Google

Web www.astronomy.net
    DayNightLine
    About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
    Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
    Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
    "dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
    are trademarks of John Huggins