Back to Home

ATM Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Amateur Telescope Making | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Aluminum Mirrors

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics
Posted by Thomas Delaplain/">Thomas Delaplain on August 15, 1999 03:30:42 UTC

I would like to bypass the aluminum coating on a glass blank process and just start out with an aluminum mirror. Has anyone done this? I read the postings on the metal alloy speculum (?), so it doesn't seem unreasonable to go the next step and use aluminum. I realize there will be problems: (1) grinding - probably can't - too soft, (2) machining - can't machine that accurately, (3) thermal instability - I might be able to temperature regulate the mirror, (4) and I'm sure there are a host of other problems I've yet to fathom.

Any help, hints, suggestions, and other items of comment, besides loud laughter, would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, td.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins