Back to Home

ATM Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Amateur Telescope Making | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Re: Scopes

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Tom Soden/">Tom Soden on July 13, 1999 21:01:24 UTC

Well I have to say it is refreshing to hear folks speak scientifically regarding scopes, well there seems to be alot of conversations regarding refractor vrs reflector and Robert makes a good argument for refractor being properly baffeled and usually reflectors are not may i suggest you aquire 2 books one is by Harold Suiter on star testing a scope and the other is ATM book 3, there is a large section on making a photographic telescope, I realize you are not going to make your own how ever the information is useful. I have friends that shoot with astrophisics i shoot with newtonians and a cook triplet, the question is aperture. Seeing must be very good to appreciate large aperture viewing, My 12.5 inch i must say rarely is there a good enoungh night to exploit its potential I agree wiht robert on the newtonian idea except the film plane size is small if you are serious about photos you will want a large flat field. for medium to large format film. It must be realized that some of the abbirations do not appear on the film even thought they exist due to the fact they are a small pecentage of the light in a refractor. The Best thing for you is to aquire samll 4" refractor and a 8" dob reflector both being around f7 and observe with them and learn the pros and cons for your self in your inviroment and situation, Then go for the scope of oyur dreams also Takahashi?? makes some very fine insturments that are newtonian schmidt camera combos, that are very good and worth investigating. regards Tom

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins