Back to Home

ATM Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Amateur Telescope Making | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Re: Making An Equatorial Platform For A Dobsonian

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Don Crowley/">Don Crowley on June 29, 1999 11:48:29 UTC

: : : I have seen the price of equatorial platforms and have : : now concluded I should make one myself. Does anybody : : have an idea where I should start or find plans? Has : : anyone built one and canyou give any hints or ideas? : : Please let me know. : : Thanks, Dan. adbg3dr@hotmail.com

: : Hey There!!

: You might try the ATM pages. The address is... : www.atmpage.com/platform.html

: I followed the plans (loosely) and came up with a fine fisrt attempt. I quickly figured out that one should really make the bearings out of metal or something that doesn't give. ( version 2.0 will be 1" plexiglass) I used the better pressboard, and while it does work, it is susceptable to indenting where the cone bearings sit on the ball bearings. : For simple observing, it's wonderful, but my first version is not good enough for astrophotagraphy : You';ll also need to figure out how to drive it. I got my stepper motor and controller from H&R at 1-800-848-8001. The linkage is the most difficult, so take some time with that. I'll be hapy to answer questions.

I've had pretty good luck with the platform that I built. (My first attempt was a disaster - too flimsy.) It took a while to come up with the design, but it works well. I had a few sealed bearings lying around - I used scrap 3/4" plywood. Bought a 1 rpm motor from Edmund Scientific - connected it to a 1/4 - 20threaded rod drive mechanism. Total cost: $50. I'm basically cheap so I'm satisfied.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins