Back to Home

ATM Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Amateur Telescope Making | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Re: Filters?

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Tom M/">Tom M on June 18, 1999 14:25:29 UTC

Danny:

The good news is - its not your scope

The bad news is - it is too high of expectations

Colors in astronomy are VERY subtle, and frequently take a large scope and dark skies. Refering to your comments of Jupiter and Saturn, the only time I've seen OBVIOUS colors (other than the cream of the planet and brownish greys of the belts) is when I was observing with my 16" under superb skies. Even then the colors of Jupiter's belts were dull brick-reddish-brown and blueish-grey.

As for filters, they are used to enhance contrast of markings on the planets. I would suggest a light yellow, orange or red, and a light blue. I have - light yellow, orange, red, green, and blue. I find the yellow works well on Jupiter and I sometimes use the green and blue. A blue filter works to bring out the polar cap on Mars and an orange or red enhances the markings on Mars.

Hope this helps.

Tom

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
    Additional Information
    Google

Web www.astronomy.net
    DayNightLine
    About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
    Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
    Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
    "dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
    are trademarks of John Huggins