Back to Home

ATM Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Amateur Telescope Making | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Re: Laminating Plate Glass.

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Robert May on June 17, 1999 03:50:36 UTC

I think that if you look at the date of the book (a quick search on bookfind.com showed a 1959 date) you will agree with me that prices have gone up since then! I figure that things are about 8-10 times what they were then. One of the guys in the mirror grinding group (San Diego Astro Language Removed.) has a 6" from back then and he paid about $8 for it. Todays price from Willmann-Bell is $85. That's about right for value from then to now. ASM, Newport Glass and Willmann-Bell are the biggest suppliers of stuff for making mirrors. You might like to find out how much a thicker piece of glass from a glass house is going to cost you. You might be able to get something that is scrap from some other job if you are friendly with someone there. Ask around your friends and if any are in the business, you'll probably be in luck. You might also trade for it with the glass that you have. An 8" circle would be just fine. You could do initial grinding with a iron tool and finish with a ceramic tile/plaster tool (look back through my posts of earlier questions for the process) and then you'll only need one piece of glass. Good luck. The kids will appreciate the telescope if they do much of the work.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
    Additional Information
    Google

Web www.astronomy.net
    DayNightLine
    About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
    Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
    Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
    "dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
    are trademarks of John Huggins