Back to Home

ATM Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Amateur Telescope Making | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Re: How Does Grinding Work?!?

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Robert May on June 10, 1999 02:33:48 UTC

The whole thing is to visualize where the weight is resting when the top is hanging over the bottom pieces of glass. Where the force is greatest, the most work is being done.

As far as the comparision between the Ronchi Test and the Foucault Test is that they both test different things. Yes, the Ronchi Test can be used to test for the curvature of a mirror but it is a lot more sensitive to smaller surface errors like zonal errors. The gentle curvature of a line is relativly hard to see in the Ronchi Test. The Foucault test, on the other hand, is very sensitive to curvature errors, especially when a Couder Mask is used. As a result, I test the absolute shape of a mirror with the Foucault Test and then look at the general shape of the mirror with a Ronchi Grating to see if there are any errors in the overall shape in the mirror between the locations that I tested with the Foucault tester. I might also note that with the Ronchi Tester that I have, it is a lot easier to rotate and thus get all of the angles of the mirror under construction.

Lastly, in the older days, a 6" was a decent sized scope and was recommended as a start point. These days, with amateur scopes over a yard in diameter becoming seen at the various conventions, a 10" isn't that big to make. In the mirrormaking group there are 3 6", 4 8" and 3 10" mirrors that are regularlly seen being worked on. One of the 8" mirror grinders is making a binocular telescope. It isn't until you get to about 14-16" that you start having trouble pushing the glass around.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
    Additional Information
    Google

Web www.astronomy.net
    DayNightLine
    About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
    Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2020 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
    Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
    "dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
    are trademarks of John Huggins