Back to Home

ATM Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Amateur Telescope Making | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Re: Ceramic Blanks

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Paul Maddocks on June 1, 1999 21:37:59 UTC

: I've seen a bit of Pyrex and none of it that I have seen has had any color to it. It's all waterwhite. As far as I know, tempering a piece of glass doesn't add any color to the glass. BTW, I just remembered that I saw a piece of tempered glass last weekend. Go grab a Polaroid sunglasses and the mirror (if the coating is off of it or you can otherwise see through it) and look at the glass through the Polaroid glasses with light from a windshield reflecting through the pyrex, light path is sun, windshield, pyrex, Polaroid and finally your eye. Rotate the Polaroid and you will see the image change. This is the quick and dirty test for Tempered glass. The image is very interesting. : Tempered glass needs to be annealed before grinding so consider that the local glass shop is going to heat it up for you. Thanx!

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
    Additional Information
    Google

Web www.astronomy.net
    DayNightLine
    About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
    Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
    Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
    "dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
    are trademarks of John Huggins