Back to Home

ATM Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Amateur Telescope Making | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Placement Of Refractor Baffles

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics
Posted by Bob Schuler/">Bob Schuler on May 19, 1999 04:23:00 UTC

I was asked the question about how to position baffles in a refractor, I got my info from a booklet I bought in a magazine store in the late sixties called Exploring Space with Astronomy by Lloyd Mallan, pub. by Fawcett Books, it describes how to build the imfamous Jaegers 5" RFT, If you want to place baffles in a 6"F15 refractor you first must draw a full scale drawing of the cone of light, I used my kitchen table for my scope, you draw a line 90" long for the focal length, at one end draw a vertical line 6" for the objective at the other end draw a vertical line for the image size at the focal plane you then draw the outer lines to make a full scale drawing of the light cone, and from that you can accuratly locate the baffles, you determine the image size with your lowest power eyepiece, for example a 50mm eyepiece would be 45x and you multiply the focal lenght of the objective 90" by the factor .015 to get an image size of 1.35", the factor to determine image size come from a book once published by Edmund Scientific called "Home Built Telescopes"...Bob.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
    Additional Information
    Google

Web www.astronomy.net
    DayNightLine
    About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
    Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
    Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
    "dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
    are trademarks of John Huggins