Back to Home

ATM Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Amateur Telescope Making | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Re: Knife Edge Testing

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Robert May on May 5, 1999 03:41:20 UTC

Turned down edge is generally from going too fast. Do about 1 full stroke/sec. The hole can be from several things but in conjunction with the TDE, I would suspect that you are going too far side to side and front to rear. Do about 1/4 of the diameter front to rear and less to the side. You might also consider just going to the parabola directly as you are sort of going the right direction. If so, do the tool on top for a while as this works on the edge preferentially. Glad to hear you've got the idea of the test. NOW go find out what you should have for numbers to measure the parabola and you'll be a testing master. P.S. You going to RTMC at the end of the month? You'll probably find me at my 200" refractor or around the mirror grinding group (if there is one).

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins