Back to Home

ATM Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Amateur Telescope Making | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Re: Making An Equatorial Platform For A Dobsonian

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Thad Robosson/">Thad Robosson on April 26, 1999 13:34:24 UTC

: I have seen the price of equatorial platforms and have : now concluded I should make one myself. Does anybody : have an idea where I should start or find plans? Has : anyone built one and canyou give any hints or ideas? : Please let me know. : Thanks, Dan. adbg3dr@hotmail.com

Hey There!!

You might try the ATM pages. The address is... www.atmpage.com/platform.html

I followed the plans (loosely) and came up with a fine fisrt attempt. I quickly figured out that one should really make the bearings out of metal or something that doesn't give. ( version 2.0 will be 1" plexiglass) I used the better pressboard, and while it does work, it is susceptable to indenting where the cone bearings sit on the ball bearings. For simple observing, it's wonderful, but my first version is not good enough for astrophotagraphy You';ll also need to figure out how to drive it. I got my stepper motor and controller from H&R at 1-800-848-8001. The linkage is the most difficult, so take some time with that. I'll be hapy to answer questions.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins