Back to Home

ATM Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Amateur Telescope Making | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Please Help With A Telescope Purchasing Decision

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by crash/">crash on April 23, 1999 04:12:46 UTC

I am interested anyone's opinion on a telescope purchase. When I was a kid, I was into astronomy pretty heavily and I always wanted a 6" reflector. Now that I'm old, I am capable of buying one. I live on the outskirts of town, in a subdivision, with a second story deck with a partial view to the east away from town. (More information than you really wanted.) My choices are: the Orion Skyview Deluxe 6" Newtonian or the Meade Starfinder Equatorial 6" . Now you guys know more about f-stops and focal lengths than I do. The Orion is f/5 and 750 mm. The Meade is f/8 and 1220mm. The Orion comes with 2 eyepieces, the Meade with one. I believe the Made comes with a drive, the Orion does not. The two differences I key on, and they may not be the most important, are that the Orion is a short tube telescope, something like 27", while the Meade is 48". The other difference is that the Orion has a steel tube while the Meade's is Sonotube. But the Orion is $529 wile the Meade is $649. If you have an opinion, I would be interested in hearing it.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
    Additional Information
    Google

Web www.astronomy.net
    DayNightLine
    About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
    Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
    Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
    "dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
    are trademarks of John Huggins