Happy Halloween

ATM Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Amateur Telescope Making | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Polishing A Mirror Question

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics
Posted by Joe/">Joe on April 1, 1999 22:06:02 UTC

I have just finished grinding my 8" pyrex mirror and I am about to start the polishing phase. I just made the lap tool last night - and boy is that pitch hard to work with. I used a laundary basket grate to create the grooves in the pitch on the tool. Problem is that when I applied the mirror to create the shape on the pitch, most of the "squares" on the pitch became deformed and they are not "square" or symetrical with each other. How important is it that all of the pitch "square" are the same shape and are symetrical with each other?

Another question: I am going to use the standard "W" stroke for polishing. I still turn the mirror and walk around the tool, correct? Or does the mirror stay stationary?

Thanks, Joe

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2021 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins