Back to Home

ATM Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Amateur Telescope Making | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Re: Everybody Should Have This Problem (24" Blank Too Thick)

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Phil Owen/">Phil Owen on March 30, 1999 00:46:09 UTC

Thanks for the tips. I have to learn how to do the "polarizer test" to determine if there is strain in the glass after i cut it. that is of course i figure a way to cut it.

I have aquired the following blanks:

A 36" x 1.5" thick fused silica blank with an 8.5" perforation. it has a curve that i havent checked yet.

A 27" x .75" thick fused silica blank with an unknown radius of curvature.

A 20" x 1" thick flat that is already coated.

And of course the 24" mentioned above.

I also have some 10" pieces of BK7 lying around somewhere...

Phil...

: A 1 in 6 blank is the old standard for thickness to dia. You can cut it in half if you want to and not worry about stress. The problem is finding a machine to do it. You may make a cutter yourself but the cutting will of course take a bit of time. Good luck. If the 24" is the smallest, what is the bigger ones and are all of them pyrex or is there some optical glass in the bunch?

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins