Back to Home

ATM Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Amateur Telescope Making | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Re: Cold Weather

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Tom on March 24, 1999 10:48:34 UTC

Lorne:

I know this is a late reply but...

You'll know if your main lens (I'm assuming you have a refractor with the lens in the front of the tube) is fogging or frosting up by shining a flashlight on the main lens - You can see the dew or frost. If this is the case, try this trick: Using stiff cardboard (like posterboard) make an extention to the "dewcap" - the extended shield around the lens. Make this extra long shield about twice as long as the factory one, and secure with a rubber band. See if this helps.

If it is your eyepieces fogging - as I suspect - here's trick #2: Keep your eyepieces warm by keeping them in your pocket (wrapped in plastic bags to keep lint free) Put only one eyepiece in each pocket so they don't bang together. When the eyepice is getting cold again put it back in your pocket for a few minutes to "defrost"

For the small eyepieces that came with your scope, try using plastic 35mm film film containers to keep them in (instead of plastic bags)

FYI - In very cold weather, just the humidity from your eyeball can fog over an eyepiece, and freeze on its lens!

Enjoy the new scope! There's ZILLIONS of things to look at if you are patient enough.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
    Additional Information
    Google

Web www.astronomy.net
    DayNightLine
    About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
    Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
    Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
    "dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
    are trademarks of John Huggins