Back to Home

ATM Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Amateur Telescope Making | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Re: Need Grit

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Aaron Littich/">Aaron Littich on March 18, 1999 16:02:01 UTC

You can also get grit from hobby shops or specialty shops selling rock polishing supplies. For rough grinding the grit doesn't really matter that much so you could go this route without trouble, but for fine grinding I would suggest using grit from companies that supply it specifically for mirror grinding.

: Try Willmann-Bell or Newport Glass or even Edmund Scientific. : Anybody that is selling mirror kits usually will sell the grits : or even the grit kits seperate. Unless you are making a very short : FL mirror don't bother with the 80 grit for your 4". That stuff works : very fast. At Stellafane this year, I took an 8" blank with a convex : surface and in the space of 3 hours of work and talk, had a 36"fl. while I was : getting others to push the glass for a minute just to get the rough : feel of how to push glass. : Have Fun and Keep Looking Up! Bob May

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
    Additional Information
    Google

Web www.astronomy.net
    DayNightLine
    About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
    Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
    Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
    "dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
    are trademarks of John Huggins