Back to Home

ATM Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Amateur Telescope Making | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Re: Tele Vue Zoom Eyepiece

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Glen Warchol/">Glen Warchol on March 4, 1999 11:40:35 UTC

: : Has anyone out there used a Tele Vue Zoom eyepiece? I've been thinking they might solve a lot of eyepiece changing; one eyepiece for several magnifications sounds good, and the company certainly has a great record in optics. I'd like to hear the opinions of anybody who has had the chance to observe using this eyepiece. One thing that worries me is the narrow apparant field at low magnification (40 deg.)

: I got one last fall and have enjoyed it greatly. I use it mainly on my Genesis for solar viewing and casual perusing of the sky. I must say I was amazed at the detail and contrast I saw in the Orion Nebula it was like using a light pollution filter. I find I like usig it to see what's about and then go to high power (6.7/4.5/2.5mm) eyepieces for tight views. I find it a very good eyepiece.

I've got the Vixen LV zoom, which is identical. I agree with the other favorable comments on it's sharpness and contrast. It holds it's own with TV and Meade 4000 plossls of the same f.l. Cons: The field is narrow at 24mm, where you like it to be wide. It's heavy. On a big scope or for folks who regularly use Naglers, that proabably isn't issue. But it throws my Ranger out of balance and I have to fiddle with that when I switch to a smaller e.p. I also wish the zoom range was something like a wide 30-28mm to 12-10mm--but that's picky. Still, it's cool to zoom in and out on a deep space object.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
    Additional Information
    Google

Web www.astronomy.net
    DayNightLine
    About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
    Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
    Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
    "dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
    are trademarks of John Huggins