Back to Home

ATM Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Amateur Telescope Making | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Re: Basics Of Radio Astronomy

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Dwight/">Dwight on February 4, 1999 20:15:56 UTC

: Hi, : I am totally new to this subject...I just want to spend some time nights, weekends talking to the stars...terrestial and extra terrestial radio signals...Is the basic equipment too expensive...If not what should I get, where to get it, and how to get started?? : Thanks. : Sanjay

Hi Sanjay The trick with radio astronomy is to measure the phase delay between two or more signal from a steller object. Stars and gas cloud emit two kinds of signals in general. One is black body and the other is emission from energy state changes in atoms. There is also the cyclic emission from pulsars. Hydrogen is a good atom to look for. It has a stong emission in the radio spectrum ( I don't remember the frequency but it is in the low HF someplace ). One builds multiple antennas or a single directional antenna. With the multiple antannas, you need at least two recievers that you can select from the various antannas and a variable delay line. You feed the signals together in such a way that they subtract. When you have the delay that nulls the signals, you can calculate the angle of the incoming signal with simple trig. Dwight

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
    Additional Information
    Google

Web www.astronomy.net
    DayNightLine
    About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
    Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
    Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
    "dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
    are trademarks of John Huggins