Back to Home

ATM Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Amateur Telescope Making | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Re: Collimating A Commercial SCT

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Gregg/">Gregg on January 12, 1999 01:24:30 UTC

I collimate my 10 inch Celestron SCT all the time according to the instructions that came with it. But I cannot give you direct advice as to how to do yours. The controls may be different. My scope is 30 years old and is no longer serviced by Celestron--they don't even have the blueprints for it any longer! If you don't have instructions, contact the factory of the telescope's maker. They can get you the proper instructions. In any case, it will take VERY LITTLE adjustment. Turning the screws a fraction of a turn to two turns at most is an EXTREME amount of adjustment for an SCT. This is because the relationship between the main and the secondary mirror is so critical. At high power, a decentering of the main mirror's reflec- tion on the secondary really throws the image off to one side at the focal plane. Angles of view at the focal plane are measured in fractions of a degree, so you can see that tilting any component of the optical system is a serious step.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
    Additional Information
    Google

Web www.astronomy.net
    DayNightLine
    About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
    Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
    Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
    "dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
    are trademarks of John Huggins