Back to Home

ATM Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Amateur Telescope Making | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Re: Placement Of Minor Axis Offset

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Thad Robosson/">Thad Robosson on December 7, 1998 15:03:29 UTC

: I know that the proper placement of the diagonal must be offset from the optical axis, but all the material I have read does not give steps for measuring. Is the measuring done from the sides of the tube? What if the tube is not perfectly round, as in a cardboard tube? Thanks for any Info.

Hey There,

I picked up a copy of Star testing Astronomical Telescopes at the local telescope shop, and it's a wonderful book. It explains fairly thoroughly the process, and even gives figures on the amount of offset. The method given is 1000 times better than just setting everything until it's all concentric. Untill I read and followed this method, I had no idea what an airy disk even looked like. My 'scope is a Meade 8" f/6, and it turned out fine once I set it up right. At least I can tell when the atmosphere sucks, or if the scope isn't cooled down enough.

As far as cardboard is concerned, mine is, and I had no problems. I use a set of machinist's calipers to make the measurement, but one could use a bent coathanger. I suppose trial and error is in order if your tube is not perfectly round, but unless you're looking for PERFECT collimation, you can get it close enough for enjoyable visual observing.

Hope I've helped,

Thad

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
    Additional Information
    Google

Web www.astronomy.net
    DayNightLine
    About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
    Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
    Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
    "dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
    are trademarks of John Huggins