Back to Home

ATM Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Amateur Telescope Making | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Conventional Wisdom?

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Rick Crockett on April 19, 2007 08:00:24 UTC

I just saw this and thought what effect it might have on ones telescope making efforts. Conventional wisdom was to ring support the mirror and thus even today molded blanks often have a ringed edge. Deformation is toward a shorter focus paraboloid and still used by european amateurs. I believe it was Shapley that applied finite analysis and came up with the 70% zone for perforated optics. The idea is to have negligble deformation not controlled deformation. At 50% pointed straight up and allowed to deform the result maybe a longer focus paraboloid but what if you don't want a longer focus or a paraboloid? Or if you don't want it pointed straight up? I have seen the finite analysis for the 8.2 meter Keck and its wiffle tree is based on appoximately 70% zone centering as determined by the analysis. Since time and science has proven the 70% zone, I would wonder where I would find the very special circumstance that warrants a 50% zone. One of my first mirrors sits on three points at 67% and holds better than 1/10 wave in any orientation and it is 40 years old. As the saying goes, it is hard to argue against success. -Rick

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
    Additional Information
    Google

Web www.astronomy.net
    DayNightLine
    About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
    Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
    Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
    "dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
    are trademarks of John Huggins