Back to Home

ATM Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Amateur Telescope Making | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Schmidt Newtonian

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Robert May on June 19, 2006 01:27:08 UTC

I generally don't do raytracing of such a design as when you build it right, there is really no need to do so.
There is a calculator on the web for doing the calculations for a Schmidt corrector for the vacuum pan method and I'd suggest that you run the corrector dimensions through that to find out how much vaccuum to use if you haven't already done so. I'd suggest that you do the corrector on both sides for a mirror that short of a focal length as a single side will probably not be possible with any reasonable success. You want to keep the vacuum as low as possible to keep the glass from breaking.
The corrector, properly done will co9rrect the light rays so that a spherical primary can be used and will give fairly good images. Probably the biggest error that you will see is astigmatism way off from the center of the axis of the scope. Making the corrector incorrectly will, of course, bring coma into the field of view, either of the positive (normal Newt directions) or negative. You will know only after you have built the scope whether you did the corrector correctly.
I'd also suggest that you make the primary mirror a bit larger than the corrector as you are interested in not vignetting the image by the primary, an inch increase for every two inches of the image plane size desired.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins