Back to Home

ATM Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Amateur Telescope Making | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Aluminizing

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Gintautas on July 22, 2004 11:33:46 UTC

"The house mirrors are all second surface mirrors and the coatings are generally silver with a copper overcoat followed by paint of some color, usually black these days"

The company says it does coat mirrors with aluminum, but they don't overcoat it with protective layer. What is the drawback of that? I guess you can't clean it, but I didn't clean my mirror for 3 years and the views were still good.

Also the price is very low (have to check this once more) and I guess you can re-coat the mirror when it gets really dirty.

I will try to to find out what technique they use. It might be done in a vacuum chamber.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
    Additional Information
    Google

Web www.astronomy.net
    DayNightLine
    About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
    Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
    Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
    "dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
    are trademarks of John Huggins