Back to Home

ATM Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Amateur Telescope Making | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Test Results With Thin Mirrors

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics
Posted by Tim Brezina on March 11, 2004 20:03:31 UTC

I seem to be getting ahead of myself, but I recently ordered a 10" X 3/4" mirror blank for the purpose of constructing an f/6 newt. Then I started to worry about the possible problems I could encounter when testing a thin mirror.

If the mirror is placed in the customary testing position (i.e., standing up vertical and resting on it's edge, maybe leaning back a bit) is there any chance that such a mirror could be flexed or stressed by its own weight and thus lead to inaccurate Ronchi and Foucault test results?

I suppose I could lay the mirror on it's back and conduct the testing from 10 feet above (i.e., twice the focal length), but that does complicate matters.

Another (crazy) alternative that occurred to me is to hold the mirror in the traditional testing position with suction cups, instead of having the mirror rest on its edge.

Actually, I have no idea if I need to worry about it, although I did start to wonder how the very large and very thin mirrors are tested without placing stress on the mirror. Perhaps I should just relax and have a homebrew? Thanks in advance for your help and advice. Great forum...

Tim B.
New Orleans

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins