Back to Home

ATM Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Amateur Telescope Making | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Bevel Question...

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics
Posted by David Gede on September 17, 2003 12:46:02 UTC

OK...I am working an 8" piece of plate glass. I have read that the edge should be beveled. I started by using my carbo stone and creating a very fine bevel but it also took some small chips. Being afraid that I would ruin the glass before I even started I left the edge slightly beveled.

After working the 80 grit, I took my mirror to my club meeting. I was told that I should bevel the edge even more or I was going to get big chips.

I did not want to risk using the carbo stone again, so I tried grinding the mirror on a 45degree with the in place tool. BAD IDEA. Of course I got a good sized edge chip doing this.

I then pulled out the dremel and using one of the grinding wheels I created a very fine bevel.

Now my question. I have read everywhere that you should bevel the edge, but it never says how. What should I use to bevel the edge? The dremel is working but it is going to take forever to get even a 1/16" bevel.

BTW...the chip is about 1/4" deep and wide...hopefully it will either grind out or I can cover it with a mirror clip.

Thanks,
Dave

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins