Back to Home

ATM Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Amateur Telescope Making | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Polishing Aluminum.

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Robert May on August 30, 2003 23:48:14 UTC

Actually, like Jarvis says, you can't really polish the aluminum. If the coating is hazy then they should have pulled the coating and applied a new one. If the glass wasn't fully polished out (you'll more notice that by the rings of clear vs. cloudy surface of the coating) then you spent money on something that the glass wasn't ready for. If you use a eyeloupe magnifier (anything over 8X will do nicely) and look at the surface, you will be able to see if the haze is from pits on the surface or from the top of the coating.
I'll also note that a sort of haze over an aluminum coating may also be the aluminum oxide forming over the aluminum and that will look not very nice when you look at it but it won't affect the views through the scope to any real degree.
Go put the mirror in a scope quickly and see what it does. Odds are that if the mirror wasn't finished, the image of a star will never snap into a decent focus and, since I can't sit here and see your mirror and so forth, I'd more tend to suspect a bad polish job than a bad coating.
BTW, who coated the mirror?

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins