Back to Home

ATM Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Amateur Telescope Making | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Re: Cleaning Optics

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by David Sinden/">David Sinden on October 19, 1998 16:19:27 UTC

: I have a 3" Oracle and a Celestron C-5. Both have mold ( I think) forming on the inside of the front end glass. How can I remove it and clean the glass or where can I find out how to clean it? Thanks.

Jim. Idont know the Oracle 'scope but I have had Celestron's to bits. The first thing is to be very careful. Its easy to do a vast amount of damage in a careless moment. If you are very confident and skilled at 'tinkering' then you might go ahead. If I remember correctly the front cell of the Celestron can be taken off fairly easily. Remove the little screws and pull gently. Work over a table - you dont want the front lens to end on the floor in bits ! If you can get the front lens out (actually its a 'Aspheric Schmidt Plate' and a very delicate piece of optics. You might try cleaning the surfaces with a cotton wool swab damped with pure alcohol (I use Iso-propyl-alcohol known as 'Pro-Pan 2-Ol' Try your local wholesale chemist. Pro-Pan-2-Ol is used for cleaning mirrors prior to aluminising and is good stuff. But it must be kept absolutely clean and not used for anything else. All handling should be with plastic gloves on - I use ordinary washing-up gloves - to avoid fingermarks. Go very carefully - its very easy to make things worse. Good Luck. Let me know how you get on. Best wishes, David.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins