Back to Home

ATM Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Amateur Telescope Making | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Grinding

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Robert May on July 24, 2003 03:41:40 UTC

If you are at 80 grit, you move on when the mirror is to an approximate curve that you want. I generally want the guys in my class to start down through the grits when the depth is about 80% of the final depth. Go on to the 120 or 180 grit and start the process of going down through the grits. Grind until you find the deep pits moving about and then proceed to the next grit. When you get to the fine grits, the Texerau method of glancing a light off of the surface and looking for the even shading of orange as you move the reflection across the surface.
Usually 15 wets will get the glass ready for the next grit but you do have to check to make sure.
I'll also note that going to the fine grits (25 micron and down) should be done only after you are sure that the big pits are all gone.
Also, doing the pencil test is best done after or during a short wet as the grit breaks down and then you don't have an even surface.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins