Back to Home

ATM Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Amateur Telescope Making | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Tile Tool

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Robert May on May 21, 2003 18:12:14 UTC

I'm cheap. A tile tool costs me about $5 or so to make for a typical 8-10" mirror while the glass for a tool will cost a lot more than that - usually about half the cost or a bit more than the pyrex mirror blank. If you are already doing a plate glass mirror, the cost is another blank of the glass.
For one off and never again, a glass tool may be a bit cheaper as the cost for the tile tool components are going to be spread over several mirrors.
As to the ring tool for making the hole, the purpose of that is to dig out most of the glass and if you don't do a really even job, a few wets of work with the tile tool takes out any of the errors left with the ring tool. The tiles aren't very thick and thus, the need exists to remove as much material as possbile in order to minimize the need for glass removal to keep the wear on the tile to a minimum. I usually consider that a mirror is ready for a tile tool when there isn't much more than a few paper thicknesses at any point of the curve that was generated if you do a curved template for measuring your ROC or a few thousandths of an inch when measuring with a spherometer over the surface. That much error of the spherical condition will quickly be taken care of by the tile tool without any error.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
    Additional Information
    Google

Web www.astronomy.net
    DayNightLine
    About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
    Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
    Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
    "dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
    are trademarks of John Huggins