Back to Home

ATM Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Amateur Telescope Making | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Tube Thickness, Etc.

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Robert May on April 23, 2003 19:21:22 UTC

The tube thickness is quite acceptable for the concrete form tubes to be used. You do need to reinforce the top of the tube so that the spider doesn't deform the tube tho. I'd not recommend using PVC for a tube because you need to use a fairly thick tube and even then, the tube easily deforms as the plastic is not very strong in the bending of the sheet as the plastic is rather flexible. I've got a scope (8" F8) and the tube is about 50lb and thus rather very heavy and even with that thickness, I still see problems with keeping alignment while viewing.
I've seen a Mirror-O-Matic machine and have worked a little with it and it is a very nice compact machine that will do excellent work to get a mirror done fast. Build it the way that the article shows how to do and after you get it done and see how it works, you can try modifying it to possibly suit your needs better. The max. diameter kind of depends upon how big you build it and I think that the article tells how big a mirror you can swing and I'd suspect from the example that I've worked with that a mirror on the order of at least 16" can be turned without problems. I'll also note that you can scale the machine up without needing to increase the motor size a fair bit without problems as the larger the mirror, the slower it needs to turn to keep from going too fast.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins