Back to Home

ATM Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Amateur Telescope Making | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
TUE

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Robert May on January 10, 2003 21:36:37 UTC

I presented the path you are on because you have indicated that the mirror is almost to the correct shape but needs some local work. This is what I'd do if I had a mirror that was 1/10th wave except the edge which was turned up.
The thing is that where you press on the glass as you polish is where the glass is taken away. If you have gotten the inner point out of the incorrect slope, keep on working further out and you will get that edge down in compliance with the rest of the surface. Don't be afraid to hang the tool over the edge but remember that the forces are going to be higher so be careful that you don't roll the edge over.
After you have things right, do a press with the full lap and do about 5 strokes and then see what happens. Hopefully, that little bit will smooth out any irregularities that may have been put in by the small lap.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins