Back to Home

ATM Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Amateur Telescope Making | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Rough Grinding Time

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics
Posted by Bill Wetterau on November 15, 2002 02:09:25 UTC

I'm working on my second mirror ever, hoping to make a 16" f5. My first attempt was an 8" which turned out to be about f7.5 when finished. On my first attempt, I was down to about the correct sagitta after about 2 hours of 80 grit grinding. I calculated the volume of glass to remove for the 16" mirror would be about 13 times as much for the 8" mirror. I'm already well over 13 times as many hours on the 16" mirror and still have a ways to go to get to the 0.2" sagitta I calculated. I'm curious - is the time required roughly proportional to the volume of glass which needs to be removed,or is something else going on here? I think I have been relatively consistent in technique and am using abrasive from the same lot as the first mirror. Is there any rough rule of thumb aboout how grinding time changes with mirror size (assuming all other variables are kept fixed)?

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins