Back to Home

ATM Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Amateur Telescope Making | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
FL Vs Mag

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Thomas Picciani on November 15, 2002 01:36:17 UTC

The type of mount can influence your decision too.

Example: Seven years ago I ground a 10 inch f/6.3 mirror and used it in a dob. Worked great! Wonderful visuals of nebulae, galaxies and even planets when viewed with a dob driver. I remember watching Io follow the red spot all the way across Jupiter with images that rivaled the best ccd images!

Two years ago I went heavily into ccd and thought that if I could get a 6 foot long x 12 inch dia. aluminum tube....

Well I built it and put it on a GT1-HD mount. It's a really beefy mount but I soon discovered that it shakes in the wind. Too much sail area. Also, at 1600 mm the fov is too small, even with a Starlight MX7C. On top of that, it's a BIG scope!

So now I'm grinding a new mirror 10 inch ~f/4.5 and planning on cutting that tube down by 18 inches at least.

In the end, if tube length ins't an issue, make it as long as you can handle, pack and use comfortably. The smaller secondary will yield better contrast. On the other hand, if the intent is to use it on an equatorial, for ccd especially, then look at the very short f/ratios to both improve stability and increase the fov.

Tom Picciani

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
    Additional Information
    Google

Web www.astronomy.net
    DayNightLine
    About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
    Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
    Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
    "dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
    are trademarks of John Huggins