Back to Home

ATM Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Amateur Telescope Making | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Spherizing

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Robert May on November 11, 2002 18:56:34 UTC

80 grit is way too coarse a grit to gain a really spherical surface. You can get close by a good short thick wet of grit but there will always be some non-spherical. I'm usually happy when the 4" spherometer that I use is within .0002" over the surface.
It's when you get to the finer grits that the surface becomes a lot more spherical. I'll also note that insufficient grit will also cause the center to go deep as the edges aren't being supported by the grit.
Go to 120 to 220 and get rid of the 80 grit pits and proceed on with the following grits.
Also make sure that you don't go chasing pits around the mirror as there will always be one or more deep pits made with any particular grit.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
    Additional Information
    Google

Web www.astronomy.net
    DayNightLine
    About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
    Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
    Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
    "dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
    are trademarks of John Huggins