Back to Home

ATM Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Amateur Telescope Making | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Foucault Tester

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Stephen Campbell on November 2, 2002 12:40:11 UTC

The foucault test, in my opinion is qualitive and semi-quatitive at best, its one of these things that self proclaimed expert master opticians like to brag about being good at.
The truth about this test is you may think you have the correct readings at a particular zone ,but you could be off by .001 or .003 or more, this test yields imperical data, ive seen people use only the "couder mask" and tested at 4 zones, to me this is a vary small map of the surface profile, one should get readings every 0.5 inch across the radius, and test with and without masks so you can see the zones that are obscured between the mask openings, and its not a bad idea to use the ronchi test, this will reveal to a novice and pro alike right away, gross extreme errors like t.d.e for example.
dont get me wrong, the foucault test IS good enough for the amateur , in my opinion the foucault test is good to about 1/20 wave MAX!.
and thats if your real good,and thats good enough.
forget about those books that say to use a slit
,make about a 1mm hole with a small piece of ground glass between hole and light source, for a light try a halogen, and design it so the light/knife edge move together, the knife edge and light should be as close together as possible
,ideally use a small prism to redirect the light through the ground glass/hole at a 90 degree angle
so as to provide your eye ample clearence(so the bulb and socket are not in the eyes way),this will also allow closer spacing between hole and knife edge.
for a positioning stage, think of things like brass rod, compression and extension springs, i made one using modified drill press vices.
good luck.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
    Additional Information
    Google

Web www.astronomy.net
    DayNightLine
    About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
    Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
    Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
    "dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
    are trademarks of John Huggins