Back to Home

ATM Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Amateur Telescope Making | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Richard Berry's Equatorial Mount

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics
Posted by David Burton on September 18, 2002 16:14:15 UTC

I decided I want to make a telescope using the equatorial mount in Richard Berry's "Build your own telescope." (Just because I want to!) I have a few questions. Perhaps someone might be able to answer some or all of them.

1. The design seems to be "not too hard, not too simple." That is to say (like Goldilocks) "just right." Has anyone who has built it found anything that's more difficult than it looks? How easy/hard was that "optional" slow-motion right ascension adjuster?

2. I have the first edition of the book (from my local library). It seems to have several little errors in the chapter on the equatorial mount. I've never seen the later editions. Do they claim to correct any errors? Has anyone noticed any errors in later editions? Has anyone compared the editions?

3. How does it handle the 6" f/8? It looks solid as a tank (and almost as heavy). (Well, except for the "polar-tee" assembly which looks a bit suspicious on paper.) Would it handle more? Say an 8" f/7 or something. (The 6" would be just fine with me, by the way, but I wanted to find *something* to tinker with). Any suggestions?

Thanks
David Burton

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins